Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Why I just love Mass Effect.

http://www.bioware.com/_commonext/themes/masseffect/default/images/home_header_noflash_1000x467.jpg

Mass Effect...
One of the arguably best Space Opera/Science Fiction Video Game series in recent years. How did I get to know of it? How did I get so enamored with Commander Shepard and his adventures to save the Galaxy from the Reapers?

Frankly, when I got it, I didn't think much of it.
I had heard the rumors of Lesbian Love Scenes and stuff, and I was all. "Huh. So...that's why it was banned in Singapore for a while?"

I got it in a buncha games from my Cousin Samantha, and I was all...huh? It was in her collection. I read up that it was a Sci-Fi game, and that it had a good story, so I was skeptical.
Sure enough, I found out it was a 3rd Person Shooter + RPG kinda game.

The story...started slow. It started with the first mission where Shepard meets Nihlus, and then meets Saren, the antagonist for the first game.
You start slowly falling into the Galaxy, and you start falling into how the story fits. You start understanding what goes on.

You start meeting the human like Asari, the lizardoid Salarians. You meet the avian-like Turians, the Jellyfish-like Hanar.
The huge gigantic elephants they call "Elcor", and then the giant behemoths of Krogan. The wandering nomads in the Quarian.
You make friends, and some join your mostly human crew.
You learn about how Humanity became part of the Galactic Civilisation.

You just realise that it's that amount of REALISM Behind it. Seriously. I played it, and it slowly dawned onto me after the first 10 hours or so.

"Galactic Civilisation is actually quite realistically handled in this case."

That's what got to me. It's not like Star Wars where you have bounty hunters and a billion species all over the place. That's what I didn't like about Star Wars.

Say. WHAT?!
Yes, Lord Vader. That's what I DIDN'T LIKE about Star Wars.

In Mass Effect, you had things called Mass Relays. They are what links up star system to star system, and helps with FTL travel. It helps build Galactic Civilisation, and it's good.

EXCEPT THAT THEY WERE PLACED THERE as a trap. By Mecha-Chutulus from outer space trying to kill all life as we know it(SRSLY).

Mass Effect as a series...is just plain well written.
Enough Said.

-Ry

No comments:

Post a Comment